Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tulips, Tulips, Tulips

Several friends gave me potted tulips for Easter and I went to the local discount grocery store last weekend and bought a few pots (red and yellow tulips). Then yesterday I went back and bought more. Today was planting day and after they were all in two of my perennial beds, I looked at the long perennial bed in my backyard which is an L shape. I had planted 4 in the short leg of the L and thought how pretty it would look to have those same flowers in the rest of the L bed.

Off I went to grocery store to buy more. They were 3 for $10 this weekend so how could I resist? I also went to the garden center to buy the most gorgeous purple ruffled pansies that I'd never seen before yesterday. Yesterday I was walking with the dog and we walked over to the garden center and saw them. I didn't have my wallet and couldn't carry them so went back today to make sure I got there before they ran out as there weren't many packs.

I had on my old gardening pants which are a faded red as they must be 20 years old. The elastic is shot so I have them doubled over at the waist with a big safety pin. The jersey I had on is an oversized one that my SIL left here. On my head, I had on a faded red visor that I wear when working outside to shade my eyes and hide my "working in the yard hair". Get the visual? In past years, I would never go off the property looking like that but I've gotten over that. It would be ridiculous to shower, do my hair, put on decent clothes and make-up to run an errand when I'm in the middle of a project. Of course I ran into a few people I haven't seen in a few years but who cares. I'm who I am. I told them I was in the midst of planting,needed more tulips and the next time I run into them that I should look better.

I came home and planted the tulips, watered the perennial beds again, stepped back and enjoyed all of my work.

I then came in and showered, put on my comfy "at home" flannel pants and ragged turtleneck and sweatshirt and enjoyed my supper and dog. A productive afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. You paint a good visual, but I think we need pictures! Next time we get together a little tutoring session for uploading photos is in order. (If you can't get Tamara to teach you this summer. Put that on your to-do list while she's here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hardly need photographs! What a great picture you paint with words. (Funny - I wrote that and saw that Rachael disagrees.)

    I was going to say initially that with THAT title, I needed photos...but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have uploaded a photo of yourself in grubbies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still, the photo would be nice. I want to see that I am not the only one looking shabby and funny while working in the garden.
    I am still recovering from my weekend in the garden.
    And the asparagus is coming up! I am so exited, I never had asparagus from the garden before!
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy photos on a blog, so you know where my opinion is on that ... glad you had a product garden day ... sounds like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly can visualize! and I agree that "who cares" when you're working on a project and need something - I do the very same thing. And, yes, I usually run into someone I know.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)