Monday, September 7, 2009

Grandma Streusel on a Mission

When Annie clued me in yesterday about the American Girl historic doll activity books being given away as the McDonald's Happy Meal freebie, I went to the McD's in town and inquired about just buying the books as I didn't need 8 Happy Meals. They only had 3 of the 8 so I bought them.

Today I went in the opposite direction to another McDonald's to buy the other 5. They only had 3 and told me the promo ends on the 10th. Being a good grandmother and an American Girl lover, I drove 10 minutes to another town to check out their McDonald's. They only had 1 of the 2 I needed so I asked if they would get more before the 10th.

A manager came over (with a Russian - or Polish) accent and asked if she could help. She asked which character I needed and said she'd go in the back to check. She came back with Molly so I now have a complete set to bring to Moscow at Christmas.

I was Grandma Streusel on a mission. Mission Accomplished.

12 comments:

  1. You know, my Grandma goes all over town to all the different banks and gets all the different issue State quarters whenever they come out. She has lots of bank managers ready to help her! You have both figured out how to play the Grandma card successfully. (Although, you KNOW you wanted those books for yourself, don't you. hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,

    Really, the books are for the girls for when I go for the holidays.

    I have been collecting the state quarters and have a booklets for them - one for Denver and one for Philadelphia. Katya and Natalia will each get one when they are adults. I'm behind several states and need to go to the coin store. I cheat and just go there and buy them (uncirculated ones).

    I bought a skein of baby blue yarn today to knit a few bunnies for your Etsy store. Then I have to assemble all of them for you.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Way to go! Anya has been collecting them recently and I've been meaning to mention it to you. I think she has four of them...guess we'll need to visit Mikky D's this week before the promotion ends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina,
    you are unbelivable!
    I had no idea we had so many McDonalds in Connecticut!
    My husband collects all those coins and arrrenges them to make sure that all grandkids will have the full collection.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound just like my grandma Annie. That is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thumbs up to Grandma Streusel!!! How fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like what we did with KFC and Wallace and Gromit "toys" some years back. Great you have the whole collection now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update:

    I told my friend that also loves American Girl and has her own Molly doll and a lot of Molly's things about the McDonald's books. She got all 8 for her youngest granddaughter. She also got a Molly book for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not to be nick pickie with you Grandma Struesel, but are you sure it was Annie who clued you in on the treat at MacD's???
    :) :) :)

    Love it that you got them all!
    My girls NEVER got a Kit...:(
    we looked at 4 McD's and noone ever had them...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)