Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My First Day of School

Dog Training School that is. Yes, I am enrolled at the doggie daycare's new training class for adult dogs. Tonight was the first night and dogs were not to come to the first class. It was owner orientation night.

We went around the semicircle telling the group which breed of dog we had, it's age and what we wanted to accomplish. When it was my turn, I immediately piped up that the doggie daycare owners told me that Liesel and I had to enroll. I also shared that my dog has so many behavior issues that they are too numerous to list. Her pluses are that she is so loving, social with all dogs and humans and the owners and trainers tell me that she is smart. Now half of my ancestors are German and Dutch so I am well aware of the strong (and stubborn) trait that is common to the nationality. Well, dachshunds follow suit along those lines. At least Liesel is not an alpha dog as my Streusel was.

I have great hopes for her. I came home with my clicker and we practiced sitting which I'd taught her earlier this summer. Tonight I did the click as soon as she sat and before she got her treat. Tomorrow night the homework sessions start. I want her to excel next Tuesday night at the Name Game and looking at me. I don't want to be the only owner whose dog isn't paying attention. I want Liesel to do well, gain confidence and progress with her training. Maybe one day we'll even get to the stage where she won't pee on the bathroom floor all the time. Do you think we'll ever get to the point where she'll ring a poochie bell when she wants to go outside? I can dream, can't I?

9 comments:

  1. Animals stress me out. The thought of potty training a dog or keeping a fish alive is too much for me. GO figure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I added you to my blog list so I will remember to read you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with school! Hope you both get a good grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liesel is at doggie daycare today and was climbing all over me once I stopped the car as she knew where she was. She practically jumped out of the car when I opened the door and dragged me to the door. Boy, does she need training or is it that I need the training so I can then train her?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol... ha ha that is so cute she has to go to school! My dog needs to go too. He is so smart, but wont stop pooping in the house.
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina ~ Yes, she can totally learn the Poochie Bell system. My beagle learned it very quickly when we got her at age 2. She was with a breeder prior earning her top rank as a Nat'l Champion Show dog; so her pet-training qualities were minimal. Poochie Bells were the first thing she was trained on when she came to live with us.

    However, one word of caution about the Poochie Bells; they can be used against you to get attention. Ring, ring, ring with no intention of going out. :) But still worth it.

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am lost for words! You are one determined lady!
    And who is an alpha dog by nature - you or Liesel?
    I never met a dog who will consider me Alpha.
    Good luck.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the homework, Tina. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's the homework coming? It's hard work, but oh so worth it - or at least I've been told. Our dogs are both in the backyard kennel right now because one of them had an accident. UGH! I'm about ready to get rid of all animals all together! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)