Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ten Years Ago Today!

Sept. 3, 2000

A very special day as I became a grandmother. Katya is turning 10 - a biggie as it's her first double digit birthday.

When she turned 1, 2 and 3, we had birthday parties here in CT for her with friends and my cousins. Such wonderful birthday memories.

Today she'll have a birthday celebration with her classmates at school in Moscow. Birthdays are very big celebrations in Russia. Last year her mom made her a very special, round soccer cake. This summer, while here in CT, she planned what she wanted and chose fancy cupcakes. I'm sure my daughter was up late last night baking so Katya could bring them into school for her class. I'm sure my daughter will blog (with pictures) about Katya's birthday.

Katya was named for her mom's closest college friend who was born in Russia. When they all lived near each other in Ann Arbor, it was confusing with the two Katyas so I called them Big Katya and Little Katya (still do).

I wish all of us grandparents were there to share her day but we'll all call to wish her a special birthday and send our love.

6 comments:

  1. Well, happy birthday to Katya! And, keep in mind that however much you wish they lived near you - you still see Katya a LOT more than I see my grandson.

    The irony! (Sorry - I know that doesn't make it better....I was just feeling sorry for myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am fortunate to get to see them a lot but miss their living in Brooklyn, NY, when Katya would come for Grandma/Katya weekends as we called them. It also gave her mother a deserved break.

    But Annie, you can see him without it costly a fortune and taking a full day to travel to JFK and then a 10 1/2 hour flight. I wish they were back here (as do the other 3 grandparents).

    ReplyDelete
  3. She knows how you long to be there.
    Pavel had his 10th birthday here. We went to Great Wolf Lodge. It was sooooo fun!!
    Mostly is was fun to be all together. Our whole family went.
    Sometimes this just sucks doesn't it:)
    Happy Birthday Katya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also Annie, you don't need a visa to go see your grandson. That always worries me. If there were an emergency it would take at least 5 good days for me to get there:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I remember when Katya was born and Tamara came home from the hospital. We were in Ann Arbor that weekend.
    It is hard to be apart.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only problem is that Little Katya is about to be taller than Big Katya... :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)