Monday, December 21, 2009

Moscow Update: Days 1 - 3

I was fortunate to be flying out of JFK on Friday ahead of the big East Coast blizzard. I took a limo shuttle to JFK and left the driving to someone else. It's also nice being dropped off at the terminal and especially when one has 3 huge suitcases, a carry-on that must have weighed 40 lbs. and a "pocketbook" that could hold your clothes for a weekend away. My girlfriend and I had weighed my suitcases at home and all were just at the limit. Well, the Delta scales said one was 57 and one was 56 lbs. so I did the shuffle at the check-in. Fortunately I was the only one in line. Everything went through OK. At the Security check, I was told my carry-on was too fat so I had to go out of line and remove a few things and put them into my "pocketbook" and also trash my water bottle. Once through, I put the things back into my carry-on and expanded it. The reason that I was bringing so much is that I had Xmas gifts and my daughter had done a "bit" of online shopping.

I bought another water and went to sit in the eating area and discovered that my nice ham and cheese sandwich I'd made that morning was still home in my frig. I went back to the food vendor area and bought something healthy. Since my carry-on and "pocketbook" were so heavy and I was also lugging my Nanook of the North down coat, I didn't go browse the shops but headed down to the gate and read magazines.

The Delta flight was fully booked but since I was early, there were plenty of seats at the gate. I had someone sitting next to me on the flight so I couldn't spread out. I did take the complimentary glass of wine and thought it might make me a little drowsy. I donned my sleep mask and earplugs, blew up my neck pillow and settled in for the long night's flight after dinner. I did cat nap but it was not what I'd call a deep sleep.

My daughter was waiting for me and ALL MY LUGGAGE. We got a second pushcart and off we went to her car. Traffic was heavy which is nothing unusual for Moscow. Yes Stacy, she had to stop at IKEA. I wanted to go in and have her take my picture holding another toilet brush (like last May) but time was running out so I stayed in the car at the pick-up area parking while she ran in for heart shaped gingerbread cookies. Katya's class is going to be decorating them for their parents. We were then off to their health club and made it in time to see Katya's swim meet. She won second place. We had blinzes at their restaurant and then headed off to the vegetable market.

We walked through a maze of vendors to the stand where she always buys her produce. They know her by name. As soon as the owner saw me, he commented that I was her mother. I could get the gist of the conversation even though I don't speak Russian. I almost fell over when she told me what she bought cost $116 and we didn't have all that much. Living here is so expensive.

Across the aisle from the vegetable vendor was a meat vendor. Seeing that would almost make one become a vegetarian. The meat was just laid out on a tile counter, no covering over it or refrigeration. Imagine it in the heat of the summer. For those of you wondering, my daughter does NOT buy her meat there. Tami took my picture with it in the background and she'll post it on her blog (americangirlsinmoscow.blogspot.com).

Then we went to a spice vendor. Afterwards, she told me she diverted my attention so I would not see the cockroaches and scream. Give me the good old USA grocery stores!!!!

We came home, I unpacked all the luggage, we ate a late, light supper and went to bed. Fortunately I'd forgotten the Lunesta prescription here last May and so I popped one of those pills and went right to sleep and actually slept quite well.

Day 2: Slept in until around 8:30 and we were off at 10:00 to the Olympic ice complex to see Nutcracker on Ice. Their nanny came along for the show and we met the school doctor there as he was using my SIL's ticket. Chris had to work at the office. The ice show was gorgeous and it's debute was here in Moscow but it will be going on the road. We came home, I took a nap and dinner guests came at 6:00. This family is Russian but they speak fluent English as he went to Northwestern in Chicago for post law school grad school and Tami tutors their two girls in English. They are so nice and I really enjoyed our evening with them. They had to leave early as it was a school night. Tami and I cleaned up the kitchen, Chris had gone back to the office to work and we girls all went to bed. Popped another Lunesta and was off to sleep. I am used to sleeping in the pitch dark with not a sound and last May had a very hard time sleeping here but it is darker now since it's winter and somehow the traffic sounds are muffled. I do not take pills to sleep at home.

Day 3: I was half awake when Tami popped in right before 8:00 as they were off to school. Chris had already gone to the health club to work out before work. I'm spending the day in my jammies until she comes for me at 2:00. I'll go back to school with her for her last part of the day. After school on Mondays, she tutors English to some of the teachers so I'll be there with her. The nanny will get the girls from school, give them dinner and get them ready for bed. I'd do laundry but don't know how to operate the washer and dryer. I am going to lounge on the couch and read and wrap some Xmas presents.

Late afternoon: I stretched out on the couch around 11:00 with my book and the next thing I knew, it was 1:45. Guess I needed the extra sleep. Tami picked me up around 3:00 and we went over to the school for about an hour and a half. The lady that works in the caf fed me a homecooked hot meal starting with a delicious soup. The kids and teachers are fed 3 meals a day - all hot and homecooked. We're now back at the apt. and she is emailing the Visa agency about registering my visa as there is not an easy way to do it as they want the apt. landlady to do stuff. That is impossible. I have to register on Wed. at the latest. Russian Red Tape! We'll go back to the school as Tami tutors English to some of the teachers from the elementary school. I don't have any jet lag and my body has caught up from my lack of sleep. Taking the long nap today was beneficial. I am lucky that I don't suffer from jet lag.

6 comments:

  1. Weather Update:

    18 degrees but feels like 4 degrees, snowing with 2 - 4 inches predicted, high of 22 today and low of 3 degrees. I'm snug up in the apartment with the cats looking out on the traffic and snow. I've got my Diet Coke and a holiday novel so what more could I ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great travelog! I loved reading you're all snug - watching the weather with the cats, diet coke, holiday novel . . . sounds devine to me!

    ~ PattiLynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everything works out with your Visa. It is great to read this -- I'll share with Sam at home. You are too funny. I checked out Tami's site -- wow are the girls getting big! Have fun.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great three days! I will check out your daughter's pg for pictures. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being able to picture exactly what you are talking about (the airport, IKEA).

    The flight TO Moscow makes you feel like you sleep all night on the plane, but when I thought about it more, due to the time change, it isn't a real night. That explains all that extra sleep needed upon arrival! No Lunesta necessary for me, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie: I want the help with sleeping as when we were here in May, even with a Lunesta, I catnapped each night. The lights and street noises kept me awake. Now that it's winter and dark and windows are shut and drapes are drawn, there are no lights to bother me and the street noises below are very muffled.

    I could have used a nap today while at school with Katya all day. I was fighting sleep. When we left at 7:30 and got out in the cold air, it woke me up. Having some nuked lasagna and curling up on the couch.

    You are so right about the flight over. When we land in Moscow, it's 2:10 AM in CT so definitely not a full night.

    I'll be at the apt. on Wed. AM so will update my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)