Sunday, December 6, 2009

Holiday Doings

Well, my weekend started off on Saturday with bringing Liesel (my dachshund) to pets' pictures with Santa. A local canine organization sponsored it and she (and I) had a good time. There were of course other dog owners there with their dogs so it was also a socialization time. She met (and sniffed) lots of other dogs and kissed a lot of dog owners. Since they all were dog people, they didn't mind her doggie kisses. They also had a raffle to raise money for their organization and some dog theme gifts for sale. I bought a lot of homemade dog biscuits for her to give her doggie friends. We also went to Petco which is always a big hit with her.

After some errands, I came home and made cream cheese spritz Xmas cookies. It's not Xmas without those spritz cookies as I make them every year. I've even sent them to Europe when my daughter was there for fall term in Spain. I have some packaged to bring to Moscow with me when I go for the holidays. I need to call the airlines to see if it's allowed to do that as I'd feel awful to have to throw my Tupperware container full of cookies in the airport trash. After my baking and 2 Advil for my sore feet, the dog and I hit the couch to watch "White Christmas". It's a holiday ritual for me to watch that movie as I love it.

Yesterday we had wet snow that froze on the ground and is still there and crunchy. There wasn't much - not even an inch - but enough to make it slippery. t's cold out so that's why it is still frozen.

Today I was home all day working in the house - bacon and pancakes for brunch, pork loin in the crock pot for supper, baked an egg custard, did lots of laundry (still hung out towels and sheets as it was sunny), wrapped Xmas and baby gifts, wrote some Xmas cards, went to the attic for a few decorations for the doors, gave the dog a bath, colored my hair as the gray was really showing, got cranberry breads from my neighbor's freezer to give as gifts tomorrow and now it's time to sit on the couch with my dog and give her lots of attention. She is at my side with her head resting on my leg. She loves being right next to me and is such a good buddy.

I'm meeting friends tomorrow after work for dinner. We are all former neighbors and meet monthly at Panera Bread but for the holidays go someplace fancier. The last few years, we've gone to a beautiful inne that is decorated very festively for the holidays. It's very quiet and we linger and talk. We exchange gifts and I usually give them an amaryllis each year as one of their gifts. I am also giving them a cranberry orange nut bread and a box of fancy holiday soaps. Last year I didn't give them amaryllis bulb kits and they missed it as they look forward to having one.

I had planned on packing for Moscow this weekend but decided to do it next weekend as I will need some of the clothes for work this week. Next weekend is it as I want it done ahead of time as it's a big job. There is lots of small "stuff". It's not just packing my clothes - that would be easy.

Hope you had a good weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie and I made my mom's spritz cookie recipe this weekend (little green Christmas trees) to package up and send to my Grandma Annie. Her recipe does not have cream cheese in it. (But it's GOOD.) I'd like to try your famous recipe sometime though - while I've got the spritz gun out would be good! ;) Will you send me the recipe when you've got a moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream cheese spritz cookies

    2 sticks butter
    1/2 c sugar
    3 oz. cream cheese
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 c flour

    Cream butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and flour. Mix well. Color dough. Use press.
    Bake 375 for 8 - 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, another recipe to try -thanks. I am not good at cookies, but I will try it. The success with cranberry bread inspired me(I not good with baking powder dough either).
    And I love White Christmas! One of my favorite movies.
    Last year we went to see a play on Broadway, purely by accident, the Holiday production, everybody says that they are the worst. We were lonely and I went on Internet at 5 am and got extremely cheap tickets for the same day. And the seats were in the second row! Have no idea how it worked out like that. The show was wonderful! All the spirit of the movie. We had great time. We actually have a good quality CD of the movie, we should see it next weekend.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)