Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Trecherous Morning Commute

It started snowing during the night and about 4 inches of fluffy snow greeted me at 6:10 this morning. Just what I love, getting out of bed and immediately going out to shovel and clean off my car in my flannels.

I came in and hit the shower and got ready for work. Of course when I went out to leave, I had to clean the car off all over again as it was snowing to beat the band.

Liesel was quite surprised when I put her out. She did love running and jumping through the snow. All my dachshunds have loved the snow but hate the rain.

My commute to work is normally 25 minutes but today it took almost double that. Driving 20 - 25 mph and very cautiously is why. The roads were just horrible so I wonder where all the snowplows were hiding. I go back roads to work and no where near a highway so I'm fortunate. My boss had to go on the highway and it took her forever and there were accidents everywhere. I found that when I needed to stop, the car just would slide. When I needed to start up, the wheels would spin and several times I thought I was stuck. I was so happy to drive into the big parking lot at work and go into the building.

The snow stopped in the mid to late morning and then we had some rain so the roads were completely clean on the way home. We did get thunder and lightning and some rain. Weird.

I hope we don't have black ice tomorrow morning.

OK, here is one of my snowstorm pet peeves. I had a jerk in a big truck behind me following way too closely (considering the road conditions) for 1/3 of the commute this morning. So many people that drive big SUVs drive way too fast during storms (another pet peeve of mine).

The highlight of my day was stopping at my doctor's and getting my swine flu vaccination. I am so thrilled. Wish they'd had the vaccine several weeks ago as I don't have two weeks before my trip to Moscow but am happy that I have it. I don't think I've ever had a better shot as I never felt it and it was the quickest one I'd ever had. I have a needle phobia so coming from me, that's something.

5 comments:

  1. yikes! I hate when people follow too close! I am not a good driver in the snow - makes me nervous! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow + Driving is not a good mix for me. Good for you for braving the storm. I guess the East Coast is more used to driving in it, a slight dusty of snow in the West can shut down a city (no joke). I bet it is so pretty! Pictures? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I shouldn't complain that there was ice on my windshield the last few mornings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the same strange thing - snow and a thunderstorm - lightnings and all- very strange.
    We are very fortunate to take only back roads to work, our highways are treacherous.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wednesday, the lady I carpool with was suppose to drive and she chickened out and had her husband drive. I was sure glad. The roads were horrible all the way to work. Where are the snowplows? We didn't see one the entire way to work. But, we did see several cars in the ditches. Glad you made it to work safely.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)