Saturday, February 13, 2010

Every 4 Years I Go Into Hibernation

Yes, it's the Winter Olympics! I just love them and plan my time in the evenings and on the weekends to be at home as much as possible so that I can be glued to the TV set.

Growing up, my daughter caught my Olympic fever. When she was a preschooler and was watching the Olympics with us, she asked what the athletes in red had on their jackets. They were Soviet athletes and had the white letters on their parkas. That was when her interest in Russian began.

We ate dinner in front of the TV on weekends as the coverage is from noon to midnight on Saturdays and Sundays. Saturdays would find me out early so that I could be home to be in front of the TV at noon. I've always had a small TV in my kitchen so I could fix meals and still watch.

Everything came to a standstill whenever the figure skating was on and bathroom breaks were only during the commercials and that's when the dog could go out for a potty break too (still the same).

Well, my daughter left for college at age 18 but I still keep the same regime. I was out this morning getting my taxes done and grocery shopping.

Right now I'm watching the avid Dutch fans decked out in orange at the speed skating rink waiting for the races to start. I have Dutch roots so I cheer for them behind the Americans.

I have never missed watching the Olympics for as long as I can remember. I was torn last night between staying home or going to the special crop at the scrapbook store. I did go to the crop but went into the toy room where there is a TV and spent the bulk of the night watching the Opening Ceremonies by myself. I left early enough to dash home to see the Olympic flame come to life.

I've been to Vancouver so it's special knowing that I've been there.

Liesel and I are home and hunkered down for the weekend. I bought salmon and shrimp for a few good dinners, maple turkey bacon to make a big brunch tomorrow and have plenty of Diet Coke and fresh lime so what more could I want?

I have many happy family memories of the 3 of us watching the Olympics while my daughter was growing up. The low was when Randy and Tia had to withdraw from the pairs competition due to Randy's leg injury. The highs were watching our American figure skaters win medals and the US hockey team win that gold medal with Jim Craig from Boston College scanning the crowd for his father at the end of the game.

During the Sarajevo Olympics, I spent many, many hours doing hand sewing of all sorts of beads on my daughter's figure skating competition dress for the spring competitions. I had spent many hours figuring out the pattern as it had to be altered and then sewing it before the Olympics opened. The skirt was made entirely of individuals petals and the entire dress had clear and white beads and pearls. It's still hanging in the closet.

I love watching all the sports in the Winter Olympics from figure skating to luge. One would think it's because I'm an avid athlete. WRONG!!!!! I did start skiing in college, did a lot of it through the years and loved it. I hung up my skis when my daughter got heavily into figure skating as she had ice time each Sat. and Sun. so we couldn't get up North to ski. That was it for me and sports.

Well, it's time to get back to my speed skate watching. Go USA!!!! You know where I'll be for the next two weeks.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate growing up to having the Olympics always on too ... and we seem to be carrying on the same tradition for our kids. The tv is on in the family room where my husband is relaxing, the kids are there too on my laptop playing Webkinz and singing the Olympic Theme Song!!! (I am in my hubby's den not too far from the action catching up quick before going back to the family). ENJOY, I can so-relate, and Go Team USA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you! I always loved winter games, ever since I can remember, but in last few games I got so tired of all the scandals, all the problems, all the press, that I just stopped watching them. I do miss the excitement though. May be I should give it another try.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was one Olympics....I think it was when both of the kids were in Montessori school (Montessori does not believe in homework) and we all watched the Olympics as a family. What fun that was.

    I don't care much about sports either, but I love the "story" element, of course.

    And now I am remembering why I HATE and DESPISE homework. It takes away family time, destroys memories before they can happen (other than those of angry, frustrated exchanges over the homework) and prevents so much exploration of things in the world other than school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I (we!) could be watching them with you! Our cable isn't working, so I haven't seen a second of the coverage! Even when the tv will work, it's still not the same watching "generic" European/international coverage. I love all the stories behind the athletes, and we miss all that. I certainly be calling the cable company on Monday to GET OUR TV FIXED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The short track skating is crazy. My heart pounds hoping that Ohno will hurry up and come from behind in one of his killer wins!! I can't imagine how exciting it would be if I were there! I would pass out.
    And the figure skating. There is always the story as you shared. Tonight watching the Russian couple skate to Chopin's dying swam was amazing. My girlz tried to stay up, but the mogel? mogul? down hill skiing took too long.
    Funny, I think the Olympics have always been a family event for so many. My Florida family pretty much never saw any of the sports so not only were they exciting for us, they were odd and unusual!
    I am sure you have logged plenty of hours at those skating rinks with your daughter. And have plenty of sparkly outfits along with the one you wrote about.
    I think I see a "skating costumes" photo story coming???
    Enjoy the Olympics!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)