Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Joannie Rochette

I don't know how many of you watched last night's women's short program in figure skating from Vancouver. If you did, I imagine most of you had to wipe a tear as Joannie Rochette skated and finished the skating program of her life. What a tremendous young woman to be able to go on under such adversity and skate the program of her life for her mother.

For Joannie to reach the Olympics had to have been not only her dream but also that of her parents. For her mother to have been robbed of seeing her daughter perform on Olympic ice and share in her glory is so, so tragic.

The camera panned on her father several times and you could see his pride and his sorrow on his face. Now it's just the two of them as she's an only child.

I hope she is able to continue on in the same vein tomorrow night during the long program so that she can be on the medal stand.

7 comments:

  1. I only heard about this on the radio as I was fixing dinner and had the same thoughts you had. Just heartbreaking....but beautiful all the same. I was crying and I didn't even see her skate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skater and she got her best overall career score last night. I too am rooting for her to be on the medal stand (or at minimum to continue breaking her own personal records).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie: Watch the skating tomorrow night as I'm sure in the pre-long program, they'll have coverage on it. They did tonight on the show that is on before the Olympic coverage starts for the evening.

    Elle J: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Canadian I was so proud, but as a woman I don't know how she did it. I was bawling as I watched her and they kept showing her dad in the stands watching her. I don't know if I could have been that strong....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do happen to like figure skating out of all the Olympic sports. I hope she continues to do well. Is she the one who just lost her Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They kept showing it over and over here and I cried every time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)