Friday, March 26, 2010

Old Sturbridge Village

Wednesday my girlfriend Diane and I met up with our friend Cecelia (Because I Said So blog) for a day at Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA. We'd been planning this day for about two months when Cecelia told me that she would be in MA for business on March 25.

We practically had the historic village entirely to ourselves so it gave us the opportunity to spend time talking to the Village staff in the various houses and businesses and we learned so much. For those of you not familiar with OSV, it is a historic village set in the 1830's time period. Buildings from all over New England were moved to the Village from a tinsmith shop to a Quaker Meeting House. It is a fantastic place and a wonderful way to transport yourself back to the early 1900's.

After leaving the Village and shopping in their large, fantastic gift shop, we went to the Publick House for dinner. The restaurant was a former colonial stagecoach stop and country inn. The inn/restaurant is brimming with charm and the food is excellent.

Before we knew it, it was almost 9:30 and time to say goodbye. Cecelia got on the highway to go to her hotel while Diane and I hit the highway for our drive back to CT. Another day of friendship and fun. We wish that we lived closer so we could get together more often.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great day! My parents have visited a few Springs ago during their cross country vacation. Loved seeing their photos and hearing their stories. One day it'll be our turn; can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What could be nicer than to be in a place like that ALONE?????? My daughter Lydia and I had an absolutely magical experience at "Lincoln's Boyhood Home" in Indiana, which is a little cabin where re-enactors are working away as though they lived there. It was a gloriously beautiful spring afternoon with new lambs wobbling about in the grass....oh, I'll never forget it.

    Hey, Tina - we got our package! I gave Ilya his school books, and when I left the house just now, he was happily explaining a map to Craig who had made the typical American error of referring to the USSR as "Russia". I put the music and candy away for Easter gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just learned of the tragedy in Moscow ... praying that your family and their friends are safe. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina ~ found your daughter's updates and glad to know that they were not immediately impacted ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard you guys had a lot of fun! and I got the most thoughtful, adorable baby gift! Thank you for thinking of me! That bunny looks very hard to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great day!!! Memories!!! When's our next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have enjoyed this place with you Tina!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)