Thursday, March 4, 2010

Things You Didn't Know About Me

Annie from One Mother's Day challenged me to do this post. The rules are that you are to share 10 things about yourself that no one or only a few people know and then tag 7 people to do the same. Cecelia, Amanda, Tami, Katya, Rachael, JoJo, Elle J - you're tagged.

1. Flannels, turtlenecks and sweatshirts - These are my winter "at home" favorites. The older the better as the cotton and flannel get softer. Holes in the turtlenecks - Who cares?

2. Cleaning - Those that knew me prior to about 6 or 7 years ago knew me as "Mrs. Clean & Organized". Well, age and life (plus scrapbooking) have changed that. Now I do a really big overhaul before my daughter and the girls arrive twice a year from Moscow. In between, light cleaning as I have things a lot more interesting to occupy my time.

3. Sleeping with a dachshund - Ask anyone that has a dachshund and they'll tell you that their doxie sleeps with them burrowed under the covers.

4. Thin thighs and arms - Oh how I wish I had them.

5. Boy's dorm room - The summer between my junior and senior years of college, I took a couple summer courses at my college and commuted from home. One afternoon after classes, I was walking by the two rooms on the ground floor of the large men's dorm and two of my friends called out to me. We started talking and they wanted to show me something so I went into their room. The were both RA's and had one of the two RA rooms on the ground floor by the large lounge. This was back in the days when women were not allowed in men's dorms but for the lounge area and the same for men in women's dorms. All of a sudden there was a knock on the door and it was the housemother. What to do with me? They opened the closet door and in I went and inside a big laundry bag. Whew! If we'd been caught, it would have been serious business. Boy, have times changed.

6. Swimming - I can't remember not knowing how to swim. My grandmother lived across the street from a lake and she took me to swim all the time when I was at their house. Starting in 5th grade, I went to a Y overnight camp. At the end of the session, those that qualified could do the across the pond swim. I did it.

7. My older granddaughter will be going off to overnight camp for the first time this summer and I'm hoping she'll go to the same camp. My dad went to the camp along with my cousins and my college roommate's son.

8. Work in Europe - Near the end of college I decided that I wanted to go to Europe to work on a US military base or Embassy. I was interested in Northern or Central Europe. I started looking into it but my father's health was deteriorating so I didn't pursue it and went to work at Electric Boat in Groton, CT.

9. Where the Boys Are - If you're in my age group, you'll remember that movie from the 60's that centered around college break in Ft. Lauderdale. Well, it was true as Ft. Lauderdale was full of college kids and plenty more boys than girls. Three of my college friends and I drove to Ft. Lauderdale from RI after exams in January in one of the girls' mother's new car. Her mother must have been extremely trusting. We had a cooler packed with sandwiches, fruit, snacks and soda in the backseat. Also packed were our fake ID's, two piece bathing suits and promises to call home often. Off we drove for the time of our lives. I remember meeting a gorgeous blond (Richie) that was from Ohio State. He told me that I was the kind of girl to bring home to meet his mom. Yup, that was me. We wrote for a few months that winter and he wanted me to come out to Ohio State for a big college weekend but that was out of the question as I didn't have the money and my parents sure weren't going to spring for that.

10. Vinegar - I love vinegar on my fresh green beans and French fries. My dad put vinegar on his green beans and I must have tried one and liked it. I grew up in a town in CT with a high Canadian French population and I was told that it's a French Canadian thing. I also like to dip crusty bread in balsamic vinegar and not olive oil. My favorite potato chips are salt and vinegar.

5 comments:

  1. We have so much in common.
    My grandmother who is very, very, fairskinned, used to take us to the cold water, (And I mean frigid)at sunrise so that she could swim. We would try so hard to keep our lips from quivering. But we did learn to hold our breath for looonngg periods of time trying to reach the "bottom" of the spring.

    And of course, Ft. Lauderdale where you "partied in school" and where I went to school!

    And then there is the vinegar thing. LOVE it on my fries too. My girlz hate it. They say it stinks!!

    And the paperwork thing I wrote about...Hmmmmm. Allegedly!! :) hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, my grandmother took us to the cold water springs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection!!! I'm so glad I asked you!

    Your dorm story reminds me of a story one of my favorite priests told me. His sister is a nun. One time he went to her convent to pick her up and needed to use the restroom. Because it was a lot more convenient, she told him to just use the one there by her room (that was NOT a guest bathroom, but for the sisters). He was eventually convinced to do this, because his sister said she'd stand at the door as guard. Well, he'd no sooner gotten into the stall before he heard her talking and in comes a bunch of sisters - and HIS sister chatting away with them - while HE scrunched up and hid in the stall. This man is now a monsignor - and every time I think of this story I laugh! So I'll be thinking of you in a laundry bag now and again, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA!! I know a girl who has a weiner dog and HE SLEEPS UNDER THE COVERS> that is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is a little goofy sometimes... =) Ya think?

    Tina - I didn't know you had so much wild and crazy in you!

    The dorms at the college I went to are still as segregated as yours were back then. I lived off campus, but I had lots of friends who lived in the dorm. I could tell a few dorm stories!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)