Sunday, August 22, 2010

Disaster Zone

I've declared my living room a packing disaster zone. It started when the Moscovites arrived on June 25th and the overnight summer camp packing started for Kayta. Truthfully, I'd started the camp shopping a month or so earlier and had it in the living room. I picked up things I knew Katya would need to go away to camp making the shopping day after they arrived a little easier. So the camp things were gone and then....

The back to Moscow shopping began. Week by week the bags multiplied until there was just a path through the end of my living room to the front door/stairs to the second floor. Keep in mind that my daughter needs to foresee all their needs for the coming year from school clothes, work clothes, birthdays for both girls, birthday gifts for the entire class for both girls (that's how it's done at their school), hostess gifts, birthday and Xmas gifts for the nanny and friends, Xmas gifts for both girls, things for the kitchen and bathroom, OTC meds, prescription meds, toiletries, books for the girls to read, books for my daughter's teaching all year, school supplies, a Nook, shoes (everyday school shoes, 2 pairs of sneakers - indoor and outdoor for school, dress shoes, shoes for my daughter), rain gear and rain boots for both girls, heavy outdoor fleece pants for the playground for both girls, fall jackets for both girls and the list goes on. I don't know if she got winter boots, snow pants and down coats for both girls or not.

Try and think ahead of everything you would need for the year and see what a task it is. Things are just too expensive in Moscow. It's easier (and less money) to buy here and pay the extra baggage fees of the airline.

I am sure by now you are getting a vivid picture of what my living room is looking like. This year I asked my daughter to vacuum the wood floor and put down a clear drop cloth so when she moves boxes, the grit is not scratching my floor. I don't have a large living room so it is FULL. Now it has piles, bags, packing tape and packed boxes.

I really hope it finishes up early so that Tuesday night I don't have much to do by miss the 3 girls.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how Tami does it! I can barely shop two weeks in advance, let alone 52! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pictures? lol.

    Tell them best wishes for a safe and uneventful trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami did take a picture of the Liesel washing but she was so busy packing that I didn't ask her to dowload it this afternoon/evening. Hopefully tomorrow and then I can post my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)