Sunday, August 15, 2010

Noah Webster House

Yesterday I took Katya to the Noah Webster House in West Hartford. I hadn't been there since bringing my daughter when she was in middle school. We were the only visitors so had a personal tour. Having been to Old Sturbridge Village so many times and growing up in a house from the 1700's, I think I could have given the tour. I pointed out things to Katya that were the same as my house growing up (the large cooking kitchen fireplace with all the ovens).

She really likes American History so enjoys going to historical places and she's sure had a lot of them this summer starting with FDR's Hyde Park home, Eleanor Roosevelt's Val-kil home, the Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde Park, the JFK Library/Museum in Boston, Paul Revere's house in the North End of Boston and touring the Back Bay area of Boston.



We started our morning at a science museum but it wasn't thrilling as Katya was really too old for it. I'd forgotten how it was. She didn't mind and really liked the flight simulator.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun when you are alone in a historic place? It is magical...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,

    It was great being the only visitor but I probably knew as much as the college age guide. Having grown up in a house built in the mid 1700's and with parents that were history buffs and into antiques, I gained that knowlege by osmosis. The past two years, I've been to Old Sturbridge Village 4 times so my memory is quite fresh. It was fun seeing the house and what excellent condition it's in. Makes one feel good.

    Katya loves going to anything historic and museums so she's fun to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would have liked the flight simulator too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)