Monday, October 11, 2010

Oh, my aching....

What's happened? I used to jump out of bed at 7:00, have breakfast and do physical work until just about bedtime. The first change was that I'd only work until suppertime. The next change was that I'd only work about 6 hours. The stage I'm now in is to start the actual physical work later in the morning and finally stop 5 hours later. I follow that up with 2 Advil for pain and stiffness. Before bed, I took 2 more Advil and was in bed at 9:15. That's 2 hours earlier than my normal bedtime on work nights. I was beat and aching.

OK, I'm older (and "fluffier") but until about a few years ago, my mind had not accepted that fact. Now my mind accepts it after a day of heavy yardwork, lifting very heavy pots to empty them, push a wheelbarrow full of heavy dirt to dump it, kneel in perennial beds cutting back and weeding, moving around on my knees as I work and the constant up and down. Remember that commercial about the elderly lady on the floor saying, "Help, I've fallen and can't get up."? I have had a few of those moments and I stand up and hope that no one is walking by my house.

As I was working the last few hours yesterday afternoon, I told myself that I can go to work on Monday to rest my body as sitting at a workstation and plugging away on my computer doesn't require much physical work. I did take 2 Advil along with my breakfast this morning and brought the pill bottle in my pocketbook (just in case). I didn't need any though.

Where did all my oomph go through the years?

5 comments:

  1. Be careful not to over do and then get yourself in a situation with a strain or pulled muscle. It is amazing how our bodies change 'just on their own' too. But I believe a healthy attitude like yours, where you keep doing, will keep you forever young! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish. I do a lot from the middle of May to the middle of June with all the planting of pots and in the gardens and spreading mulch. Then I do the reverse in Oct. In between really nothing. As I am doing the heavy work is really about the only time I miss having a husband around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I just don't get to the garden.....or the house..... At least I'd never have HOURS in a row for it. But, it probably keeps you in shape! You need to do more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel.
    Sometimes I can not figure out - am I so lazy or I really can not do it.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ignored my yard this year because of my hand. I miss it so much.
    I am like you, I pay for everything I do now the next day:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)