Sunday, October 11, 2009

Getting Ready for Winter - Part I

Part of my fall ritual is to empty the NUMEROUS pots of annuals from my deck, front steps, walk, front and back yards. It is a big job with numerous trips with the wheel barrel to the woods where I dump the dirt and flowers. They are still in bloom so I hated dumping them but I don't want to wait until after the first frost as then it is cold out.

After all the pots have been emptied, the next step is backbreaking and wet. I hose and scrub them so in May they are clean and ready to be filled for the season. I really do clean them well. They are on my deck, front steps and upside down on some small scrubs drying off. Tomorrow after work, I'll collect them, stack them and put them in large garbage bags to go down to the cellar.

If next Sunday is nice, I'll take my screens down, scrub them on a tarp on the front lawn and store them in the cellar for the winter. I kept a large box from one of my new windows and store the clean screens in there. Another very wet and backbreaking job.

Wonder what I'll do when I'm too old to do this each fall?

While I was doing all the work, Liesel was out on the deck supervising.

From one of my earlier posts, you all know how I love to hang out my laundry so today the line was full to take advantage of the sunny day.

4 comments:

  1. Hey TIna,
    I am just checking in after a little break. Lordy, I am amazed that you scrub your screens..I guess I should do that, but maybe next year...
    About your shopping post, I have only gotten 1 gift as of now. I am usually finished by Thanksgiving, so I have a lot to do.
    My dad is making a BIG purchase for my big girl this year..A laptop, and for the little one he is getting a new TV..Can you beleive it? I was 16 when I got my first tv for my own room, now he just can't spoil my girls enough!
    How exciting that your Moscow grans will be here for Halloween. I am making one costume, and ordered the other last week.
    I can't wait to share photos!!
    Oh, and my lazy spoiled dog did one trick. She was a horse in a horse race...
    You hold your dog up with its two front legs in one hand, the back legs in the other hand, and then you sort of open and close their legs, and they look like a horse racing down the track..This skill required very little effort on her behalf, and she was always very proud when I finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never taken my screens down for the winter. I never even thought about that! I guess it makes sense though!

    And pots? I just haul mine in the garage and then dump them out in spring.

    You are so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A regular Martha Stewart you are. So organized, doing the job the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel guilty throwing out plants that are still alive, like I'm killing them or something. I know it's crazy, but if there is still life in them, I just can't do it. I've tried to throw out house plants that are almost dead, but I end up hanging onto them until there's absolutely no hope. Not because I love the plant, but because I don't want it to die of dehydration (on purpose anyway).
    I know, it's weird.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)