Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's CT And Not The Woods of Maine

With all the wildlife around here in the burbs, one would think it was northern New England. It's not unusual to have a bear walking into your back yard, bending down your plant shepherd's hook to empty out the birdseed in the hanging feeder or going through outside trash cans.

I've only seen a bear once in my backyard but my neighbors see them on a fairly regular basis spring through fall. They live on the outside of the circle so back up to miles of woods.

I know that brown bears are suppose to just eat berries, seeds, nuts, etc. but I still don't want to ever put that to a test. There are many times during the nice weather that I've wanted to go for a walk around the circle with the dog in the later evening but I've been afraid of meeting up with a big 4 legged hairy creature.

Last night my neighbor emailed me pictures of a baby possum that was on top of their bushel of apples out on their patio area. There are also coyotes in the area and I saw one cross the road one morning on my way to work last week. This was about 10 minutes from my house.

This is why I never let my 15 pound dachshund out on her line unless I am either out with her or on the front steps watching her.

1 comment:

  1. I never have seen a bear in our backyard, but we see coyotes, foxes, deer, turkeys, raccoons,skunks pretty often. Turkey and deer are the most common visitors. We love turkeys and feed them cracked corn. Squirrels are the ones that clean out our bird feeders. They are very detemined and persistent.
    Hope you will not meet a bear.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)