Saturday, October 24, 2009

Yarn, Yarn and More Yarn

I met up with my girlfriend and her sister this morning and off we went to Hartford to the Stitches East convention at the Convention Center. It was the first time I'd been to one and it was all that Diane promised. Aisles and aisles of yarn - all varieties, weights, colors and blends. If we'd seriously looked at all the vendors, it would have taken several days.

I felt like a kid in a candy shop as it was overwhelming.

After quite a few cell phone calls to Tami in Moscow, I bought a beautiful white mohair with a sparkly silver thread, a variegated plum with other Monet water colors and sparkly silver and gold threads and the pattern to knit them up into two pretty shawl/shrugs. I also bought a teal, plum, black mohair and teal wool with a pattern for a felted hat for her and more mohair for a matching scarf. For myself, I bought a bright variegated bright green, purple, blue and hot pink sock yarn to knit myself a very costly pair of socks - my first pair. I bought several other patterns. I did restrain myself from buying more today. Tami will knit the hat, scarf and one shawl/shrug for herself. I'm dying to see the yarn knit up so I'll do the variegated plum one for her this fall.

Tami would have gone wild there with all the beautiful yarns as she loves to knit too.

We ended our day by sitting at little tables knitting squares that will later be sewn together for blankets. It is part of a nationwide organization that donates blankets to those in need. I think it was called Warm America.

Really fun day. Now I am going to relax with the dog on the couch, movies on the Hallmark channel and work on sewing the hand knit bunnies I'm making for Rachael's Etsy Store (Simple Wishes).

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga,

    It was lots of fun. I started on the darker shawl/shrug for Tami but am stuck on a direction so will have to wait to ask my girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who loves to knit. I need to learn how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie,

    I wish I were there to teach you as I knit the German way and it's so much faster than the American way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never stop amazing me! Your heart is full of goodness! I bet you were a fun mom for your kids when they were growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a blast! The only thing about "too much" of something I love is that I usually experience some sort of glut and don't buy anything - that's a good thing, undoubtedly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see the bunnies. But, I'm thinking that I'm not going to be able to do the etsy store before Christmas this year. Things are just too crazy at work with one partner moving/retiring and one still on disability from her injury. I have a few things made, but not enough to do it well, and I haven't said anything officially yet, because I'm still undecided, but I think the logical/sane thing to do is put it off until next year.

    I might do something in the spring though: those bunnies would be great to sell before Easter!

    So, if you're prioritizing projects, you don't have to rush the bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie,

    That has never happened to me. I can always find something that I HAVE to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE yarn! I could look at it and touch it forever! I crochet a bit (I love to make animals!) but - tried knitting as I like the look of it better than crochet, but got stuck (I was teaching myself) - I think I may give it another go though. I like the idea of warm up america - I read a bit about them recently, I would like to try and do something like that here in moscow . . . I am sure there are a lot of people who could use a bit of warming up. would love to see pics for what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I wish I could have gone with you. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew it is indeed.
    May be by the spring I can manage to make nice bunnies.
    Tina send me an instruction, but I am so out of touch with knitting, and so pre-occupied with other things, that bunnies just do not come out right.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katherine,

    When I'm in Moscow, I'll have to take a picture of Tami wearing the shawl/shrug that I started knitting Sat. night with yarn from the yarn convention. I love to knit.

    My grandmother taught me to knit when I was a preschooler and then I didn't pck it up until I was a freshman in college. I've been knitting ever since then.

    Cecelia,

    I wish you had been with us too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)