Monday, October 19, 2009

My Life Must Be Dull

if going to a discount grocery store thrills me!

Tonight I went to a discount grocery store for the first time as my neighbor went yesterday and emailed me that I HAD to go! So off I went to stock up on bargains.

Snagging a pound of brand name bacon for $1.74/lb. was the highlight of my day. Add to that $1 for a pound of Cabot butter and T-bone steak at $3.94/lb. I can't remember when I last bought a T-bone steak as they are big and pricey but tonight I threw caution to the wind and bought the two pack. My cart and the tray underneath were loaded with bargains. I bought just about all of the week's super saving specials and had umpteen million bags for the grand total of $156.56 and saved $57. In that were a family pack of chicken breasts, a family 8 pound pack of hamburg, 16 pork loin chops, 4 pounds of bacon and the steaks. Did I do well or not?

The savings had me hypnotized as I bought 2 gallons of milk which were around $1.75 a gallon. What am I going to do with all that milk as I hate to drink milk? Guess I'll be using lots of the 3 dozen of eggs (also at a ridiculously low price) to make quiches with the fresh asperagus and Cabot Monterey Jack cheese (both also on special savings). I do have a slight problem though - a full freezor. Maybe my neighbor that turned me on to the store will have some room in her freezor in her cellar.

I also have a 10 pound bag of potatoes. Any suggestions?

Later I did get all the meat individually wrapped and in freezor bags safely stored in the freezor. Now it means that I'm going to have to do some serious cooking.

7 comments:

  1. Boy, oh, boy! I wish I lived near you! You'd have to invite me for dinner. You have some serious cooking to do!!!

    How about some custard? That's a nice way to use milk. Or warm milk with a bit of vanilla (or rum) is quite pleasant, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do plan to make egg custard and love it (especially for breakfast).

    It was 10 when I finished putting everything away so I wasn't about to start baking custard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a deal! Great price on bacon. I pay about $5/pound here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Tina, I shouldn't have read that post. :-) The prices here are making me think twice about things I normally buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katya,

    Every now and then you'll have to splurge.

    How does the average person afford to buy groceries with such prices? Are homes or rents cheaper so it offsets the high grocery prices?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is impressive! What store was it?
    In my grocery store $100 buys just barely enough food for 2 of us for the week, but we eat breakfast and dinner at home all of the time and we bring the leftovers for lunch to work.
    The potatoes should do well in your cellar for a long time, as long as they are kept in the dark and do not freeze.
    Good use for milk - hot cereal for breakfast, like oatmeal.
    Or mashed potatoes - uses both milk and potatoes.
    I think you made me hungry for good old fashioned winter meal. Ukranian damplings (varenniky) with mashed potatoes (add some good sauteed onions) and lot of sour-cream (cream-frache or russian one are the best).
    I am going for a snack.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... Making me soooo hungry! How I miss applewood smoked bacon! What store? You'll be going back, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)