Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's a .....

Imagine my surprise last night when I turned around in the customer service line at the department store and looked into the carriage. I thought it was a "different" looking baby carriage and wondered why it was enclosed with zippered netting. Well, it's because there was a calico cat inside instead of a baby.

Now I love my dog dearly but would I buy a special pet carriage so that I could wheel her when I go shopping? NO!!!!! If I did that, I know my family would think I'd gone off the deep end but they don't have to worry. When I leave home, Liesel is securely in her dog crate in my kitchen.

At first I thought these parents were kind of "old" to have an infant but figured it was a late marriage, etc. Was I ever shocked to see the cat curled up on a fluffy blanket. Now I think that is weird. What do you think?

While standing there, a store employee told the couple that they could not have a cat inside the store. The woman that owned the cat remarked that Nordstrom's doesn't mind their bringing the cat in her carriage inside.

Guess the saying, "It takes all kinds" is very true.

5 comments:

  1. It is way too weird for me...
    But I have a conflicted feeling about it. I am not a pet person in the sense this woman is. We took a good care of our son's cat when he left for college. I had a bad allergy to the cat, so my personal contact was limited. But, I think, we were pretty level headed about the cat and we loved him.
    I have friends that treat their pets like children or like toys, I usually frown on that attitude, and find it generally annoying, but, on the other hand, it gives them somebody to love and care about and feel needed, it might not be such a bad thing for the older person. Sometimes I think it will not be such a bad thing to feel.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very attached to my dachshund, as I was to my first two, but there is a line between loving them and treating them as a child. I do talk to my dog all the time but don't expect her to answer.

    I think that couple was WEIRD too.

    When I was talking to Natalia today and telling her that I'd be there in less than a month, I asked her if there was anything she wanted me to bring over for her. After a moment's silence, her answer was "Liesel".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just weird enough to do that.
    I can now confess that in the wait between trips to adopt my eldest daughter, I would put my dog in my baby carrier, and walk around with her. Now I didn't go in public, but you get the idea, that I am just weird enough to get a carrier for my pet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece has a stroller like that for her cat. But she's 12. She takes the cat up and down the block and that's it.

    Even that much is a bit over the top to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)