Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Day

This morning I left early to get a jump on the pile on my desk at work. After a half mile from my house, I heard something and pulled over. Flat tire. Last night I remember running over a rock that was in the middle of the road but nothing happened. I was close to home and the car drove fine. I drove a short distance this morning to park in the driveway of someone that I know. Called AAA and waited and waited and waited. After 45 minutes, I called and was told he'd be there in 15 minutes. Waited some more and called again. He finally arrived and it was over an hour. I found out that he was the only person covering our area. I was livid. What are they going to do once winter and the frigid weather, ice and snow are here? Because of my wait, they did not count this call on my AAA account. I went to the Honda dealer, bought a new tire and off I went to work. Instead of being early, I was 3 hours late. So, tomorrow I will be going in very early and doing some of my catch up.

My day ended better with a holiday demo at a local upscale nursery/gift center. The theme was mantle and Christmas trees. Everything they did was gorgeous and out of Country Living or Victoria magazines. They kept saying how nice certain things would look on your kitchen island. OK, not everyone lives in a McMansion with a huge kitchen with an island. What about those of us that live in a Cape? I came home and looked at my house with the kitchen floor that the puppy chewed two circular holes in the top layer of the old flooring and the one kitchen cabinet that she chewed. My kitchen is the original from the 1950's but it's home and I do love my dog.

8 comments:

  1. My Mom is always telling me I should get AAA. At least they didnt' count it against you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Kitchen island"! (Snort!) I sure don't have one. In fact my kitchen has to have the smallest possible working space of any kitchen known to man. It is one of those "galley" kitchens so the table is not even nearby....I have to use the stove top as work space...so I'm not putting any decorative displays there!

    AAA is a lifesaver. We are loyal customers....though on those occasions when they take forever - it IS miserable. I'd say (having called them umpteen zillion times) that they usually are remarkably quick.

    Glad it was a daytime problem, anyway - and you were close to a friend's house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first became a AAA member on the advice of a friend as we were leaving CT to drive to San Francisco. We altered our plans to include a drive to Hartford to go to AAA to sign up. That was August 1971. I have AAA Plus. I wouldn't be without it.

    What had me so annoyed yesterday was that it took so long as it wasn't the middle of a CT winter storm or frigid. Having only one person covering our area was ridiculous.

    When I had an MG, I used it a lot for car problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We wouldnt be without AAA either.
    Island in the kitchen, what a dream:)
    I love my little ranch style house. Dream of having a cape house:)though!
    Have a good weekend!!
    Katherine just said it was snowing in Moscow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I know the feeling. My mom and I used to go to The Street Of Dreams every summer when I was growing up and get woo'd into all the style and massiveness of the homes, talk all the way home how it would be to have a house like that, walk into our front door and just laugh. So not the Street Of Dreams, but it was HOME ... that is the difference!!

    Sorry about your car. Hope you get caught up at work and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,

    I love a Cape - the look and they have a lot of room inside. The people that built my house planned it our very well and I had loads of closets (unfortunately all full).

    I hope it's a white Christmas when I'm there so we can go out into the country for a troika sleigh ride.

    Elle,

    Some of my friends have McMansions and I come home and feel claustrophic. But, it's home for me and my pup and I am lucky to have a home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Tina - it is home and it is nice to have one.
    We lived in so many different houses over the years, some old, some new, 2 with kitchen islands and jacuzzie.
    Now we live in tiny-tiny 1950 ranch.
    The home is just a home.
    The kitchen islands are highly overrated, but a good home design is sure a big plus.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAA Plus is worth every penny. Plus you get discounts on all sorts of things with it (like zoos).

    I'm with you (and the others) on the kitchen island thing. Wish I had a kitchen large enough to HAVE a kitchen island. I don't even have a dish washer. Unless you count me.

    And the kids.

    But they are unreliable.

    And slow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)