Saturday, November 7, 2009

Little House on the Prairie

I don't think one is ever too old to enjoy Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House on the Prairie" nor tire of the stories.

The Hallmark channel is showing a series of Little House movies tonight for 6 hours. They are not the TV series with Melissa Gilbert but newly produced ones from 2005.

I don't remember the stories from my childhood but they were a big part of my daughter's childhood - the books and the TV show. One Christmas her Aunt Connie in Oregon made her a black calico with pink rosebud print dress that she thought was like what Mary and Laura wore. Since it had a large yoke top and was floor length, it fit her for about 3 years. By time she outgrew it, the dress was definitely not floor length.

The love for the Little House stories continues as my granddaughters now are enjoying the TV shows on DVD. I think my daughther's childhood books have been brought back to Moscow for Katya to read.

Today was gorgeous with lots of sun and temps in the 50's and a perfect CT fall day. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the low 60's. We don't know if we'll have many more weekends like this so I worked hard outside today to get ready for winter. I pruned shrubs, finished cutting back my perennial gardens and hauled the dried plants to the woods. After I came inside and showered, it was time to cook dinner. While it was cooking, I made an egg custard that's now baking. Took two Advil as my body is really stiff from the yardwork. The dog and I are on the couch watching the Little House movies. After a productive day, it's a good way to spend a Saturday evening with my dachshund curled up at my side enjoying a good movie.

6 comments:

  1. I am a purist when it comes to the LH books. It is as though I KNOW that family. As a child those were the first books I ever bought with my own money...and I read them, and read them and read them. I have undoubtedly read those books 20-30 times each. I KNOW that some of them significantly contributed to my moral development.

    I should find the photos about post about the trips that I made to Laura's home and museum in Missouri, and to the site of the "Little Town on the Prairie", DeSmet SD...though we also stopped by the site of the little house in the big woods in Wisconsin (not much there, really) and the site of their house on Plum Creek. Lydia and I waded in Plum Creek and were really there all alone. It was bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami always wanted to go there but they weren't exactly next door to CT. I'm sure you loved visiting the sites since you loved the stories so much.

    Your reading the books over and over was like my mother and Gone With The Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have the series on dvd - the big kids watch an episode a night while I make dinner. I read aloud the first 3 books. I LOVE them. I have great memories watching the show with my family every sunday night (that and the waltons).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine,

    I also loved the Waltons. There used to be such great family shows on TV and now there is so much junk.

    I hear you made it into to the inflight magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED that series...and read through the books so many times the books fell apart. I just bought my girls the complete set. Anya is already falling in love! :)
    We have lived close to both their home in Kansas AND their home in Walnut Grove, Minnesota. We never made it to either place. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching quality shows with my family - all around 7:30/8pm - little house, waltons, happy days, muppets. What happened?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)