Sunday, August 16, 2009

Escaping the Heat

Because it is mid August, I was very optomistic that we would have summer come and go without the dog days of summer. Wrong! Today in the shade, it was 90 here at my house in the burbs of Connecticut.

Many people go to the beach, the mall or the movies to escape the heat. What did I do? Read, clean and hang out many loads of laundry. As soon as the clothes were dry and taken in, I had more wet ones ready to go out. I have no idea how many trips I made from the second floor down to the cellar. Free exercise.

I sorted stuff that didn't go to Moscow, purged some stuff, cleaned a few rooms, opened my suitcase in my daughter's room and started packing for my trip to Moscow in December. I came up with a bright idea to have one of the large suitcases and my carry on open in her room so when I buy something or UPS drops off what my daughter has bought online, it'll go in the suitcase. This will alleviate the stress of packing as everything will be where it should go. All I'll have to do is take it all out and cleverly pack it like a jigsaw puzzle (over the long Thanksgiving weekend).

I was outside in short bursts of time hanging and getting in laundry and watering my potted plants so they could survive. I wanted to water my perennial beds but couldn't stand the heat or the invasion of mosquitoes. Where did all the mosquitoes come from? They were out for blood.

I actually cooked tonight and made up a casserole - browned hamburger and a Bermuda onion, tossed in cooked fresh summer squash, cut up olives, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Topped it with shredded cheddar cheese. It was really good but I'm going to make some spaghetti or rice tomorrow and have it as a topping as it was a little too wet. For those of you that are vegetarians, subsitute ground veggie meat.

The pup got her run around the block with the little neighborhood boy that I've hired to run her. I waited to call him until the sun was not as strong so they went at 7:00. It did the trick as she is content to curl up on the couch while I'm in the den on the computer or on the pillow in her crate in the kitchen. She now has a bed pillow in her crate and loves it. I bought new pillows for my daughter's bed so Liesel gets the hand-me-downs.

Looking forward to starting my new book later tonight - The Diplomat's Wife. I just finished The Kommandant's Wife and loved it. The Diplomat's Wife follows the story. Tamara read them this summer and left them for me.

Hope it's not as hot where you are.

10 comments:

  1. Why am I not surprised that you are already packing?! You crack me up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,

    I never have done this before but there was a bag full of stuff she wanted me to bring over so why not have the suitcases open I thought. It sure will make it a lot easier. My goal is to be packed but for last minute clothes, gifts and cosmetics weeks ahead. I'm sure I'll be bringing 3 big suitcases as there will be stuff that she'll want me to bring over.

    I've had enough of the heat after yesterday and am ready for fall which leads to winter and MOSCOW!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tina! I love your blog! Read your comments for a long time on your dd and others blogs.

    ~PattiLynn in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. PattiLynn in Texas,

    Thank you so much! I'm afraid my blogs generally won't be too exciting as my life is quite routine. Once I find the accessory bag for my digital camera and figure out how to get pictures from the camera to the computer and then to the blog, I will be able to add them to my blog.

    I'll have to do some serious thinking about blogging fodder.

    Keep commenting as I love comments. Do you have a blog?

    Expatresse,

    Thanks very much for asking. Really quite well, I'd say. I just have to baby my back as it gets sore easily - especially in the area where I had the stabbing pain. Urge everyone you know that is over 60 to get the shingles vaccine as it helped me to have a "mild" case. Hard to say mild when my lower back felt like I was being stabbed over and over with a dagger on June 26 until I had good drugs come in through an IV and by swallowing them (at the ER - not from the street corner dope pusher).

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been hot here for last last few days. Hoping the next few days are cooler. We've been cleaning out our barns which isn't a fun thing, but much needed. I seem to have so much trouble posting comments on your blog. Hope I don't have so much trouble this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cecelia,

    What a chore - cleaning out the barns - and it such heat. I hope you don't have the mosquito attack like we are having. You can't be outside even a minute without being swarmed. I feel badly for Liesel as she doesn't have arms to fling to ward them off. I only have her out for a few minutes each time.

    It's in the low to mid 90's here and humid. It's suppose to break tonight and go to the mid 80's tomorrow. Can't wait.

    We badly need rain for the gardens because of the heat.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina,
    we spend the weekend the same way you did - washing clothes, beach toys and being sad.
    We run out of things we really needed to wash (like old Smurf sleeping bags boys were using) pretty quickly, so we just started to wash random items which we thought might benefit from being washed.
    Good thing that you are going to Moscow for Christmas.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olga,

    I was also looking around for things to wash since I was on a roll.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are enjoying the books I left for you! Aren't they great? They would make fantastic movies, don't you think?

    I'm glad the packing won't be so stressful for you this year.

    Remember that people might not see what you reply to their comments; they'll only see it if they read your post again and click on the comments. (Just so you don't assume they've seen it). It's a good idea to then go to their blog (if they have one) and tell them you've replied on yours).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)