Sunday, August 9, 2009

Our Weenend and the departure

The girls' last weekend has been very busy with many errands, visiting cousins and friends, several meals at Panera Bread, finishing a memorial album, laundry and Tami's packing.

This year she got a headstart on her packing but keeps adding to what is going back. She has been buying English books for her school to start up an English library for grades 1 - high school. Let's just say she has bought a whole LOT of books and educational games to bring back. Of course the school will be paying for them. This is the one and only time that she'll have some of their baggage allowance that they personally are not using as so much went over in May with Rachel, Cecelia and moi when we went to Moscow. She figures she is bringing back around 350 pounds of books and games so that's a LOT.

During all of this, Tami has had a sinus infection. Don't worry Rachael as she went to my doctor on Friday and was put on an antibiotic.

Tomorrow I am off on a vacation day and am meeting my cousins and we're taking the girls to an educational museum that they'll love. This way, we are out of the house and Tami can get a lot done without us there.

The driver comes Tuesday morning and off they drive in the late morning heading for JFK. It's always sad to see them drive out after our goodbyes and know that it'll be 4 months plus a week or so until I fly to Moscow to visit them for the Christmas holiday. I leave for work after they depart and the house is like a tomb when I return home. I'll probably collapse on the couch and vegg in front of the TV with the dog as I'll be beat. The cleaning can wait until the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. In Russia there is superstition, which doesn't allow one to clean until the departed guests reach their destination.

    I hate saying goodbyes, hope you won't feel too depressed and lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be thinking of you as Tamara and the girls go back. What a great few weeks you've had! And what a wonderful thing to look forward to...Christmas in Moscow! ;) Have I told you just how glad I am that you're blogging?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Russian tradition! It's a great excuse to just relax. And, since they are going to Russia, I think you must adhere, Tina!

    Glad Tamara got on rx. - tell her to take some mucinex D too. That stuff works wonders.

    Hope you're not too sad when they leave. I'm sure it helps having Christmas to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that Russian tradition, too! It makes so much sense! I think I'll keep it in mind.

    Tina, how I wish we lived close by one another....we'd have such fun. I need a "fun" friend. :(

    I like the way you were cagey about the "Educational" museum....I expect the details will be revealed in an upcoming post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a nice visit, they always fly by don't they? I know the empty messy house feeling is the worst. I always feel a little bit sad and a little bit glad when my guests leave. It's a full time job keeping house while you have company.
    I agree with all the others, the Russian tradition is a great idea, for sure follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan to follow the Russian tradition and will just chill out on the couch tomorrow night with my dog.

    Housekeeping while they are here - forget it. We are too busy and on-the-go. The cleaning will always be there waiting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)