Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Line Drying

I grew up in a house without a dryer. My mother hung out our clothes year 'round. Fortunately there were only 3 of us in the family so that meant less laundry. In the summer, they flapped in the sun and breeze. In the winter, they froze on the line and we had the frozen things in our laundry room and sometimes draped over a drying rack in the kitchen. We had a wood stove in our large kitchen and my parents kept it well fed so the room was usually around 75 so they dried quickly (stiff as a board).

I just love clothes dried on the line - crisp sheets and stiff towels. I hate towels dried in the dryer as they are limp and not as absorbant (IMO). I lived summers at the CT shore and nothing beat the sight of beach towels and bathing suits hung out on the line to dry after a fun day on the beach.

I hang out sheets, towels, jeans and stuff that doesn't need to go in the dryer on my clothesline as soon as the weather warms up and do so into November. I don't like taking in frozen clothes so I'm not a dieheart like my mother was. As I said, I love the smell and feel of line dried things. Another bonus is that I save electricity. I also can do a load at 11:00 PM, hang it out and go to bed. The next day after work, I just bring it in. If I had to rely on the dryer, I wouldn't be able to wash that late at night and go to bed. There are a few negatives though. You can't hang wash out when it's rainging, might rain or is overcast and muggy. Sometimes a bird goes on a item so it has to be rewashed. Every now and then I have to flick a bug off an item before bringing it inside. I look on these inconveniences as Mother Nature.

Now if I had the thingamagig, I could have taken a picture of clothes on the line and put it here. Use your imagination. My backyard has a big perennial garden so picture the clothesline and the multi-colored perennial bed.

Now I'm off to take jerseys out of the dryer as they don't do well drying on the line.

5 comments:

  1. I can picture this!! But can't wait for you to get that thingamagig too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle,

    I'm going to Circuit City and Walmart to look for a thingamagig this Sat.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also LOVE the smell and feel of line-dried towels and sheets. I used to hang them out pre-Rosie, but she pulls everything off and drags it around the yard. That's the price we pay for "playing rag" with her, I guess. Otherwise the advantage is that we need no dog toys; old towels are all she wants.

    I saw some "advice column" just yesterday where someone was complaining that they'd hang the wash out to save energy...but they hate those "hard" towels. I'm with you! Line tried towels are EXQUISITE! Nothing like that smell and the rough texture against your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one! While I love the image of clothes drying on a line, a gentle breeze, and a full perrenial garden: I'll take a warm fluffy towel fresh from the dryer over a stiff one any day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my co-workers tells me frequently how she hung out a load of clothes before coming to work - and my response - why? I can't for the life of me imagine having to hang clothes out on a clothesline. I'll take the dryer any day!! In fact, I have a new washer and dryer! I must admit, the thought of hanging out clothes is nice. That's as far as I can go with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)