Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rocking in CT

This afternoon when I was bringing something to another dept. where I work, I saw a group of people standing around asking, "Did you feel that?". I didn't know what they were talking about and asked. The response was, "Did you feel the floor move?" I had no idea what they were talking about and when I got back to my dept., there were several groups talking about the same thing. I hadn't felt anything but then I'd been in the supply room which is in the center part of our wing. The co-worker in there helping me didn't either.

I went back to my cube and to work. After all, this isn't CA but CT. About 5 minutes later, we were all told to leave the building. When we were outside, one of the women was on her cell and said that an area north of Ottawa had an earthquake which registered 5.5 and we were feeling the tremors from that. Here we are so many miles away and still felt it.

We were outside for about 45 minutes in the hot sun, temps in the mid or high 80's and high humidity. Thank goodness there was a slight breeze. We then got the all clear and went back inside. Don't know how they knew the building was fine as I can't imagine a structural engineer has been there and gone through the building in 45 minutes.

That was my exciting day at work.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't feel a thing.

    Funny that they'd make you go outside and all....something that not everybody even felt wouldn't seem likely to unsettle a building - and you are right.....there was hardly time for anyone to do a thorough study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our last EQ was when I had just exited an elevator in an under ground parking garage with my then 2 yr old and 4 month old kiddos. We leaned against the brick wall as the elevator doors closed, lights flickered, metal signs posted in the garage swayed, and lots of loud noises were heard. So scary!!! I kept picturing the bldg we were "underneath" had collapsed and we'd never reach outside. We (obviously) did make it out with out a single bldg toppled over in the city like I had pictured. But it took over 2hrs to drive a regular 40 minute commute home (because of every one leaving the city for home), and the cell lines didn't work to get in touch with my husband for many, many hours.

    Glad your EQ today was okay!! =) Have you been in others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle J,

    Your experience would have freaked me out.

    I've never felt an earthquake. We lived in Berkeley while my ex was in grad school and fortunately the ground never moved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been lurking the American Girls in Moscow and then your blog for months now, however, since I took a break from blogging, I was lurking from work and did not comment, I have started blogging again and felt I could add some new favorite and comments. I am from California, so earthquakes are a common occurance. You must be glad your girls have arrived!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)