Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Work

On Monday the 26th, my boss told me that she was retiring - that Friday the 30th. Needless to say, I was shocked and very upset as she is such a wonderful person and I really enjoyed working with her. After I shed some tears, I went back to work to tie things up for the day and head out for home. She told her 3 directors that report to her about an hour after we spoke at the end of the day. I guess things had been in the works but we didn't know anything about it until the t's were crossed and the i's dotted.

I couldn't start plans for collecting for a retirement gift or planning an after work happy hour until Wed. morning. The official email wasn't sent out until the end of the work day on Tuesday so I had to wait until that was done. Wednesday morning I got to work and sent out an email about the happy hour at a very nice restaurant around the corner from work. Then I sent out an email about collecting for a retirement gift. Everyone was emailing and calling so that's how I spent my day.

I was amazed at all the contributions that came in and we gave her a hefty gift certificate to the Norwich Inn & Spa in Norwich, CT, which I know is super posh. I also bought another hefty Visa gift card for her and still had several hundred dollars in cash. People kept handing me money even at the happy hour.

We had a good turnout at the happy hour and everyone had a great time. It was a huge success as Kathy is so well liked. It was hard to say goodnight.

A little over a week later we got together as she took me out to dinner for my birthday.

This is week three with her gone and I miss her and it's still just not the "same".

HR is working to fill her position and I hope that the new exec is as nice and wonderful to work with.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to say goodbye in the work place. Especially when true friends and nice people surround you. Hoping for happy news in the replacement.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)