Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Baking

I took today as a vacation day. What really surprised me is that I set my alarm but for 7:15. Got up, showered and made a big artery blocking breafast of sausage, fried eggs, toast and OJ. Put in a load of laundry and hung it out.

Then the real job of the day started. I rinsed and picked through 8 bags of cranberries and made 12 large and 10 small loaves of cranberry orange walnut bread. Most are for Xmas gifts. I never know how many I'll need so I make more than needed as it's nice to pull one out of the freezer in February to have for breakfast with cream cheese. Since it's such a messy job, I like to get them all done at once. I make them in foil loaf pans (much easier), wrap heavy duty foil around them and pop them in a friend's freezer. When I give them, I wrap them like a present with colorful fancy ribbon that has silver in it. What a great gift IMO.

The kitchen is all cleaned and I'm just waiting for the second batch of breads to finish baking.

This weekend I want to bake spritz and sugar cookies too and have all my holiday baking done.

I've had the Hallmark channel on with Xmas movies so it has been a nice day. In my email, there is a 50% off coupon for today at Borders so I'll run there tonight to buy the old movie Holiday Inn. Maybe I'll watch it over the weekend while knitting.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!!! I enjoy all the comments you write on my blog, and reading all of your great posts. =) Sounds like you had a great day!! I got behind schedule today, but our Thanksgiving Eve Service at church became cancelled due to pipe bursts and loss of heat =( And this is a big church, so something weather-related with our low temps must have really made a mess. So now we are going to watch Miracle on 34th Street while I bake pies to bring to my brother's house tomorrow. =) Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving and weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.. Your cranberry orange bread is so good.... I had forgotten that the cookie press is here! Now to only figure out WHERE!

    Sure would be nice to curl up with you on the couch tonight with Leisel and watch a Christmas movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed! How I wish I lived near enough to you that we could be IRL friends. Though,what would I give you in exchange for the orange nut bread?

    I want to buy a cookie press. I've wanted one for twenty-some years.... Why not give in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still planning to bake your bread. This year I will experiment using gluten free flour. Hope it will come out OK.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)