Thursday, November 11, 2010

What we do...

What we do to not accept the advancing years.

On my way home from work, I went for a haircut. I have a very short haircut and so when it's cut, the upper part is ash blond/light brown while the true color is what you see on the bottom. All the color is cut off and what's left is salt and pepper (mostly salt).

I've been coloring it myself for years as I buy a box of Garnier on sale for around $5. Yeah, when I had it done at the hairdresser's, I loved the highlights she put in. The only problem is that I get a haircut every 6 weeks and so it needs to be colored at the same time. That was just costing way too much money that I could ill afford. My hair comes out fine (if I say so myself) and it sure is way less money.

The only drawback to doing it myself are the various shades. I choose a dark ash blond/light brown and it comes out a medium brown. Each week it gets lighter. I guess I should look on it as it doesn't get boring with the same shade and I kinda like that.

I've finished it, taken off my hair dye tee shirt, towel dried my short hair and now am in my old comfy turtleneck and sweatshirt. Dying my hair in the colder weather is chilling as I am only wearing a tee shirt and I have a wet head with hair dye for a half hour. At least it takes 45 minutes to do it and then I'm all set for another 6 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I only dyed my hair once, and it was about 45 years ago. I have light hair that bleach very easy in the sun to the very light.
    I was spending that summer with my best friend family. At the end of the summer her older sister (Katya, that is where it all started) came to stay with us. My friend and I stole her hair dye and in the darkness of the night on the porch dyed our hair. My friend went first, when it was still some light. We timed the process and did not see any results (my friend had pitch black hair -the raven black). It got really dark when my turn came. We decided to increase time. Was too dark to see the results.
    The results were stunning! When my friend mother walked in our room next morning, she nearly had a hear attack, judging by her screaming. When I looked in the mirror, I screamed too - I was orange or rather carrot red.
    So, I am still recovering from the shock and turning more salt than pepper every day.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken up coloring my own hair also. It just costs so much and takes so long at the hairdresser. I sure make a big mess when I do it, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)