Sunday, November 7, 2010

Yarn & Candles Part II & Reading

My friend Diane and I had such a great jaunt yesterday. First stop was for bagels and then we hit the road. We went to Webs' Yarn in Northampton (Exit 18 off Interstate 91 for those of you avid New England knitters). The place is amazing!!!!!! I've been to quite a few privately owned little yarn shops but they never prepared me for this huge place. I was in yarn overload. Diane turned me on to knitting socks and I'm working on my first pair. I made right for the sock yarn area both in the full price and marked down areas and stocked up on great variegated yarns. One yarn even makes up into a patterned Xmas sock. Can't wait to do that as the sample is adorable. I also bought lots of colors for another knitted project. I'll have to figure out how to put pictures on my blog so you can see the finished results.

We then went north to Yankee Candle about 10 minutes away. There is a wonderful restaurant on their property called Chandlers. We got right in for lunch as most people needed tables for 4 or more. We had a delicious apple cider glazed pork loin lunch with butternut squash, oven roasted potatoes and rolls.

We had walked all around Yankee Candle and bought some stuff there. It was MOBBED and we were so fed up with all the shopping cart and stroller pushers who would just stop and block it so no one could get around them. We glanced more than looked at everything as that would take all day and neither of us are needing any Xmas decorations. Our favorite area is the German one with the Black Forest.

The highlight and main reason for our trip there was to see the Von Trapp Children perform. They are the Baron and Maria's great grandchildren and Curt in the movie was based on their grandfather. They are 4 siblings - 3 girls in college and 1 boy (16) in high school in Montana. The girls dirndls were all Maria's. That was amazing. They do not show signs of age or wear either. Their 4 voices are just lovely and the arrangements were so well done. We both bought a DVD of one of their concerts and had them autographed. This was their 5th time performing at Yankee Candle. I'm sure Diane and I will want to see #6. The 4 Von Trapp children were so wholesome and a joy to hear and meet. One of the girls complimented me on my silver dachshund pin so I told her how I named my dachshund Liesel after Liesel in Sound of Music.

With the time change today, I was loving getting the extra hour of sleep. I spent a lazy day reading. Read one mystery and went to the library for several more by the same author. I did hang out two loads of wash and do another with the dryer so I did accomplish something. Mostly it was a veg day reading which I love.

Now it's couch movie knitting time with the dog.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend!
    I love yarn stores, fabric stores and needlepoint shops. They are always so much fun. Hope your socks will work out well.
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny about the Sound of Music. Did you see this?
    http://dividingmytime.typepad.com/my-blog/2010/10/in-praise-of-the-baroness.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me think of the fabric store I went to in Portland, Oregon one time.... Just everything imaginable. That's a lot of fun, but a bit overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! (But, don't forget to sign your name.)